Skip to main content

The Paleo Challenge

I've stopped eating sugar.

I was a sugar-holic, though. Huge Mochas, donuts, lots of chocolate, double doubles. Almost everything I ate had a tons of sugar in it. I decided about a year ago that I would stop eating sugar. Then I tried a coffee at Tim Horton's without the cream and sugar, and I abandoned my sugarless ways. It seems the coffee is just a vehicle for the cream and sugar (much like cigarettes for nicotine). I had many similar experiences trying to quit smoking. I didn't even last a day.

Shortly after that, I started working out at Crossfit BC. Great guys, great gym, great little community. Since May 2009, I've been going approx. twice a week to a grueling punishment that I will not describe here (you can check out the link). The transformation of my body was immediate. I hadn't exercised a lot prior to joining this training center, and certainly not with any regularity. In fact, I spent the first 35 years of my life trying to kill myself. I smoked for 20 years. Drank like a champion. Ate whatever happened to be in front of me. Tossed my body around. My motto was "Total Body Sacrifice!"

I still like the motto, but I've modified it a bit. "Total Body Challenge." I love a challenge. And you certainly have to sacrifice a few things in order to overcome a challenge, so it still fits, but it's not about sacrificing the body anymore, rather challenging the entire thing. Mentally, physically, and emotionally. I completed an MBA recently, without an undergraduate degree (or even a high school diploma, for that matter). I've joined the Ride to Conquer Cancer, though I'd never ridden a bike for more than ten minutes at a time prior to signing up. This challenge thing is addictive, especially when you overcome them. It's a rush.

Recently, Crossfit BC issued the "Paleo Challenge." If it was called the "Try altering your diet slightly for a month", this blog wouldn't exist, but it had challenge in the title, so I had to take them up on it. For 31 days, I will eat what the cave man ate. The gist of the Paleolithic Diet is that our bodies are genetically adapted to survive on water, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and meats, and that our genetic make-up has not changed since the end of the paleolithic period (12,000 years ago), so we should eat what they ate. I thought they had a maximum life expectancy of about 35 years, but if that's true, is was probably due to the fact that they lived outside and had no medical intervention. Anyway, I had been thinking about giving up sugar (which the paleo diet strictly forbids) for a long time, so I decided to take on the challenge.

As with most challenges, this one has several facets. The main one is that my wife, Jennifer, the primary food preparer in our household is not on the diet, and that I am "Culinarily Declined." Prior to meeting her, I lived on restaurant sushi, 99 cent pizza, and beer. When she is away, I revert to that diet. None of these staples are included in the paleo diet, of course, so I am going to have to learn how to cook. I am literally starting from scratch.

I'll let you know how things go. I'll keep this blog for the 31 days of March 2010. I'll share recipes that I come across in my coincidental culinary challenge. I'll also document my Crossfit progress during this month to try to measure the physical benefits of eating like a caveman.

Jer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 22

Wow. The days have gone by fairly quickly. Forget all of the other stuff, 22 days without beer is a major accomplishment for me ;) I think I'm too skinny, though. My muscles are definitely more defined and I've dropped 15 lbs in the last three weeks, but I don't feel as 'healthy' as I used to. It's hard to describe, but I feel kind of like I'm wasting away. Perhaps I'm not eating enough. I went for a 60k cycle on Saturday morning, from my house in Deep Cove out to Lighthouse Park in West Van and back, as part of my training for the upcoming Ride to Conquer Cancer. I felt pretty good the whole time. I actually had a surprising amount of energy in the latter stages, but I felt really fatigued for the rest of the day (and on the following day). I did play hockey on Sunday night, though (4 point night), so I guess I wasn't that fatigued, but I don't feel as though I'm getting enough fuel.  As I said in an earlier post, I was no cook prior t

Social Paleo

I've noticed that there aren't many cavemen out there in the world today. It's not easy to eat Paleo outside of the house. It's awesome and super practical when I'm controlling the menu and all of the ingredients, but that's obviously not the case in the 'real world.' I went out for dinner with my wife and kids to another couple's house the other day. They are our daughter Maggie's friend's parents, so we didn't know them too well. I was a little nervous. Could I eat anything they were going to serve? If not, how would I broach the subject of coming over for dinner and not eating? I was feeling pretty low, too (It was day 6 of the Paleo Challenge); I didn't know if I could even fake being social. Being new to this idea of thinking about what I eat before I eat it, and not just shoveling whatever's in front of me into my gullet, I didn't know how to act. How awkward! I managed to work it into the conversation early. We star