Skip to main content

Day 30 (Day 22 Redux)

I'm back on top.


Last week I think I bottomed out. I felt tired, cranky, sore, and sick. I felt weak and frail. I was beginning to doubt the whole paleo diet thing. I thought I had felt the worst of it about two weeks in, but last weekend was hell. I think I was starving to death! I stuck with it, though. A challenge, after all, is a challenge. I started eating more, and more often. Lots of between meal snacks. Mini carrots are great, for example, or a few (dozen) handfuls of almonds and sunflower seeds.


I am the 'Smoothy King', as well. A handful of Europe's Best frozen field berries, some fresh strawberries, a kiwi, a banana, some pineapple, and some water makes a pretty tasty pre-breakfast snack. I'm eating a lot of omelets, too, with red peppers, tomatoes, onions, and crab meat. I started eating much bigger portions at dinner, too. More meat! It's starting to consume a lot of my day, hunting and gathering for meals, but I guess people didn't have much else to do 12,000 years ago.


My 60k bike ride was way easier this week, and it didn't make my thighs feel like they had been pummeled with a roofing hammer like the last one. I had another 4 point night out on the ice and didn't feel tired at all, during or after the game. I feel lean and light again, too. I feel like those dudes running through the trees in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, barely touching the ground.


I still can't wait for that first Heineken, though. Two more sleeps! 


I made a couple of instant classics last week. A Tandoori Butter Chicken on Acorn Squash and a Red Pepper Crab Bisque. They are awesome! Check out the recipes, below...




Tandoori Butter(less) Chicken served on Acorn Squash
Tandoori Sauce
§      2 cups coconut milk
§      1/4 cup lemon juice
§      1 1/2 tbsp peeled and finely chopped ginger root
§      3 cloves minced garlic
§      2 Jalapeno or other hot chillies, seeded and minced
§      2 Bay leaves
§      2 tsp Paprika
§      1 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
§      1 1/2 tsp Ground coriander
§      1 tsp Turmeric
§      1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
§      1/8 tsp Ground cardamom

Place the coconut milk in a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients. Discard bay leaves before cooking.

Chicken
§     6 large, free-range, grass fed, antibiotic and hormone free, boneless, skinless chicken breasts ;)
§     Poke fork holes in chicken breasts, cover thoroughly, and marinate in refrigerator for at least 6 hours (overnight if you have time)

Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place chicken thighs in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Be careful not to over bake the chicken, or it will be dry. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-sized pieces and add to the butter chicken sauce.

Butter Chicken Sauce
§     2 tablespoons pure virgin olive oil
§     1 1/2 cups chopped onions
§     1 tablespoon minced garlic
§     1 1/2 tablespoons grated ginger root
§     1 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
§     3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
§     3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
§     1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
§     1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
§     1 can (28 oz/798 ml) diced tomatoes, drained
§     1 tablespoon maple syrup
§     1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
§     1/3 cup coconut milk
§     1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
§     1 tablespoon almond butter

While chicken is baking, make sauce. In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric, ground coriander, cinnamon, pepper, and cumin. Cook for one more minute. Add drained tomatoes, water, and maple syrup. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Transfer sauce to a blender and purée until smooth. Return puréed sauce to pot, mix well and return to heat. Stir in coconut milk, cilantro, and almond butter. Add sliced Tandoori chicken and mix well. Cook just until chicken is hot. Serve over hot acorn squash.

Squash
§  1 acorn squash per chicken breast
§  Halve each squash (vertically)
§  Scoop seeds out [save them and bake them like pumpkin seeds]
§  Bake face down at 375 for 30 minute
§  Scoop out squash meet and mash

Serve Tandoori chicken in butter(less) sauce over acorn squash with a nice Cabernet Sauvignon!

Red Pepper Crab Soup
Ingredients
  • 3 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
  • 16 ounces chicken broth
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon fresh coriander
  • 1/2 pound cooked crabmeat, flaked
Directions
  1. Set the oven to broil, and preheat for 5 minutes.
  2. Place the red bell pepper quarters skin-side up on a broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil until the skins have blackened, then place them in a covered bowl and allow them to steam for approximately 10 minutes to loosen the skins.
  3. Once the skins have loosened, peel them off and discard. Coarsely chop the peeled, roasted peppers, and place into a large saucepan with the chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, then add the coconut milk, sea salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and coriander. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes.
  4. Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into another saucepan and stir in the crab. Heat the soup at medium for about 5 minutes. This recipe makes two large servings.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 22

Wow. The days have gone by fairly quickly. Forget all of the other stuff, 22 days without beer is a major accomplishment for me ;) I think I'm too skinny, though. My muscles are definitely more defined and I've dropped 15 lbs in the last three weeks, but I don't feel as 'healthy' as I used to. It's hard to describe, but I feel kind of like I'm wasting away. Perhaps I'm not eating enough. I went for a 60k cycle on Saturday morning, from my house in Deep Cove out to Lighthouse Park in West Van and back, as part of my training for the upcoming Ride to Conquer Cancer. I felt pretty good the whole time. I actually had a surprising amount of energy in the latter stages, but I felt really fatigued for the rest of the day (and on the following day). I did play hockey on Sunday night, though (4 point night), so I guess I wasn't that fatigued, but I don't feel as though I'm getting enough fuel.  As I said in an earlier post, I was no cook prior t

Social Paleo

I've noticed that there aren't many cavemen out there in the world today. It's not easy to eat Paleo outside of the house. It's awesome and super practical when I'm controlling the menu and all of the ingredients, but that's obviously not the case in the 'real world.' I went out for dinner with my wife and kids to another couple's house the other day. They are our daughter Maggie's friend's parents, so we didn't know them too well. I was a little nervous. Could I eat anything they were going to serve? If not, how would I broach the subject of coming over for dinner and not eating? I was feeling pretty low, too (It was day 6 of the Paleo Challenge); I didn't know if I could even fake being social. Being new to this idea of thinking about what I eat before I eat it, and not just shoveling whatever's in front of me into my gullet, I didn't know how to act. How awkward! I managed to work it into the conversation early. We star