Skip to main content

Health Junk

I've been a little hesitant to post pictures of the food that I'm making on the internet. It seems akin to dressing up your pets for photoshoots, or remodeling your house to look like the bridge on the original Star Trek series (it happens). A little on the geeky side. I guess this is my coming out party, though, because I am about to post a picture of the chips and salsa I made from scratch last night.


There. I did it. It's official. I'm a food geek. I didn't actually take the picture (my sister in law, Alison, has enabled me in that regard), but I posted it. The chips are made from sliced yams, dipped in egg whites, sprinkled with onion and garlic powders, and baked for 30 minutes in the oven at 425 degrees (flip once). I couldn't eat them (I guess cavemen didn't like starch), but I assumed they would work better as a chip than the zucchinis I bought. I did make some zucchini chips, as well, but they weren't photo worthy. They tasted great, but they looked pretty bad so I didn't take a picture of them and post it on the internet ;) The salsa is made from 100% organic fruits and vegetables (great recipe on Mark's Daily Apple). 

Continuing on the picture theme, my buddy, Jason, sent me an interesting article from the New York Times this week. The article is about how industries that produce 'foods' that are not necessarily good for people receive the bulk of the US government subsidies, while industries that produce foods that are good for people receive relatively little subsidization (in contrast to federal nutrition recommendations). The result is that foods that aren't good for you have become cheaper and foods that are good for you are more expensive. Food for thought...



Jer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 22

Wow. The days have gone by fairly quickly. Forget all of the other stuff, 22 days without beer is a major accomplishment for me ;) I think I'm too skinny, though. My muscles are definitely more defined and I've dropped 15 lbs in the last three weeks, but I don't feel as 'healthy' as I used to. It's hard to describe, but I feel kind of like I'm wasting away. Perhaps I'm not eating enough. I went for a 60k cycle on Saturday morning, from my house in Deep Cove out to Lighthouse Park in West Van and back, as part of my training for the upcoming Ride to Conquer Cancer. I felt pretty good the whole time. I actually had a surprising amount of energy in the latter stages, but I felt really fatigued for the rest of the day (and on the following day). I did play hockey on Sunday night, though (4 point night), so I guess I wasn't that fatigued, but I don't feel as though I'm getting enough fuel.  As I said in an earlier post, I was no cook prior t

Social Paleo

I've noticed that there aren't many cavemen out there in the world today. It's not easy to eat Paleo outside of the house. It's awesome and super practical when I'm controlling the menu and all of the ingredients, but that's obviously not the case in the 'real world.' I went out for dinner with my wife and kids to another couple's house the other day. They are our daughter Maggie's friend's parents, so we didn't know them too well. I was a little nervous. Could I eat anything they were going to serve? If not, how would I broach the subject of coming over for dinner and not eating? I was feeling pretty low, too (It was day 6 of the Paleo Challenge); I didn't know if I could even fake being social. Being new to this idea of thinking about what I eat before I eat it, and not just shoveling whatever's in front of me into my gullet, I didn't know how to act. How awkward! I managed to work it into the conversation early. We star