Skip to main content

Total Body Challenge

The 31 days is up. The Paleo Challenge is over. The way I eat has been altered forever. There has certainly been some highs and lows, but eating this diet has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for me - mentally, physically, and emotionally - and I will probably continue with it. I will certainly reintroduce some whole grains and a little dairy (can you really live without cheese?), but I will keep eating like this because it feels great. I feel better now than I did when I was 20 years old (18 years ago). Because I am a geek, I have compiled a Harper's style index, below, to summarize my Paleo Diet experience...

31 days  - length of time I ate like a cave man
$650 - approximate grocery bill for the month
20 - number of meals that I prepared and cooked from scratch in the last month
100% - percentage increase over all previous months of my life combined
195lbs - my weight prior to the challenge
178lbs - my weight at the end of the challenge
75 - approximate number of beers that I consumed in a normal month
0 - number of beers that I drank in March (I stayed up past midnight on the 31st and drank a cold one, though)
10 - number of Crossfit workouts in March
115 - number of dead lift repetitions
10,650lbs - total combined weight for dead lifts
125 - number of back squat repetitions
12,575lbs - total combined weight for back squats
3 - number of bicycle rides I completed in March
164km - total combined distance for bicycle rides
10 - number of points scored I had scored in 24 hockey games since the beginning of the season
10 - number of points I scored in the last three games
6 - number of visible abdominal muscles when I take my shirt off ;)

Thanks to Dave for suggesting this diet in the first place, and for all of the information and support throughout the challenge. I learned a ton. I cooked like a chef (and ate like a king). I felt like a champion. And I finished something that I didn't think was even possible in the beginning (which is the best feeling in the world). That's the total body challenge!

Jer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 22

Wow. The days have gone by fairly quickly. Forget all of the other stuff, 22 days without beer is a major accomplishment for me ;) I think I'm too skinny, though. My muscles are definitely more defined and I've dropped 15 lbs in the last three weeks, but I don't feel as 'healthy' as I used to. It's hard to describe, but I feel kind of like I'm wasting away. Perhaps I'm not eating enough. I went for a 60k cycle on Saturday morning, from my house in Deep Cove out to Lighthouse Park in West Van and back, as part of my training for the upcoming Ride to Conquer Cancer. I felt pretty good the whole time. I actually had a surprising amount of energy in the latter stages, but I felt really fatigued for the rest of the day (and on the following day). I did play hockey on Sunday night, though (4 point night), so I guess I wasn't that fatigued, but I don't feel as though I'm getting enough fuel.  As I said in an earlier post, I was no cook prior t

Social Paleo

I've noticed that there aren't many cavemen out there in the world today. It's not easy to eat Paleo outside of the house. It's awesome and super practical when I'm controlling the menu and all of the ingredients, but that's obviously not the case in the 'real world.' I went out for dinner with my wife and kids to another couple's house the other day. They are our daughter Maggie's friend's parents, so we didn't know them too well. I was a little nervous. Could I eat anything they were going to serve? If not, how would I broach the subject of coming over for dinner and not eating? I was feeling pretty low, too (It was day 6 of the Paleo Challenge); I didn't know if I could even fake being social. Being new to this idea of thinking about what I eat before I eat it, and not just shoveling whatever's in front of me into my gullet, I didn't know how to act. How awkward! I managed to work it into the conversation early. We star